Thursday 27 May 2021

The Great Antipodean Adventure New Armed Civilian Figures & An Interesting Book

With a Great Antipodean Adventure scenario coming up in our schedule of games I have decided to boost my force of armed civilians so I picked up a box of Wargames Atlantic WW II French Partisans/Resistance Fighters!

Members of the 5th Amalgamated Unionist Company bearing the new flag of the Soviet Republic of New South Wales rallying outside their dedicated rallying point their local pub!

I have assembled my first dozen and must say these figures are (IMO) excellent! I had never heard of Wargames Atlantic until I did a search for '28mm WW II armed civilians' looking for some different to what I already have for variety. I picked up a box from my local bricks and mortar Hobby Shop they area bargain! I have since seen this release hammered on the net with comments like; not much variety with only 4 torso types, no female figures, no kneeling or prone figures and not enough rifles being the main issues, well I am not going to argue these as everyone has their own opinions and thoughts the main thing for me is i am happy with the set!

Here's my first twelve ready for action!

The Wargames Atlantic box with some my figures...

One of the eight (identical) sprues...

Also in topic with this Post I picked up at the local Rotary Second hand Book Shop 1932 A Hell of a Year by Gerald Stone. With my 'historical' Oz Civil War set in this year and my main reason for the outbreak, the sacking of the NSW Premier being a central theme of the book I couldn't believe my luck! I have not finished reading the tome yet so I am not reviewing it right now but the $2 I spent was worth it for the photographs alone! I find the two photographs taken in my home city of Adelaide of bloody riots being resolved between 'ordinary hungry' civilians and mounted Police on one of our main streets most evocative!


Keep well!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent work with the figures Captain! You wouldn't need any female figures for that time in NSW - they would be in the Ladies Auxiliary Soviet making sandwiches.

    Random thought: the figure in the first photo on the right could be converted to a molotov cocktail thrower - his bottle painted a Resches beer bottle :)

    I would assume the 5th will get a plus one to their morale when ever they are close to their pub!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ben “the Ladies Auxiliary Soviet” I love it! 😊
    Yes any Unit defending their ‘Local’ Pub ( maybe any ‘Pub’ in fact will get a positive morale modifier!
    Thanks for looking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a very interesting project...looking forward to seeing where it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kym, our hypothetical Oz Civil War games have gone well so far, expanding the forces is never a bad thing!

      Delete