Friday 18 January 2019

Home Made Cornfields!

A period picture of Yankee Zouaves emerging from a lush cornfield, Northern Virginia 1861...

Well you can never have enough terrain for your ACW Skirmish games...and I suppose any other theatre of war where corn crops were grown! Anyway to make a short story long I wrote a review for the 61-65 rules for the ACW Gamer, The Ezine and got a copy of it so I could check out my handiwork and in it I noticed on page 16 an article, Planting Corn intrigued I went to page 16 and low and behold there was an article on making your own cornfields. Now these were for 54mm figures and included pumpkins but the corn stalks made out of twistie ties looked good so I decided to give them a go for my 1/56 figures!

From Ebay I order 800 ties for the princely sum of A$4.89. I then followed Mannie Gentile's instructions; I proceeded to twist bundles of 7 and 8 while my partner watched the two Annebelle movies which are far too horrific for me! Later I snipped and sprayed the 'stalks' and attached them to 2mm styrene plastic squares (6cm x 6cm). finally I dry brushed the stalks with a second shade of green and made the bases look a bit earthy...

The finished lot!
Sorry about the picture quality on this post they taken with an old phone...

The first picture without effects...

I didn't document the process its all on the Toy Soldiers Forever blog...but used some off cuts once done to make a baby stalk so you can see the original colour of the ties...

The whole process for making cornfields can be found on Mannie Gentile's Toy Soldiers Forever Blog...
Toy Soldiers Forever Blogspot

And if you're interested the ACW Gamer, The Ezine detatls can be found here...
The ACW Gamer

That's all for this time folks...

No comments:

Post a Comment